For over 20 years, the verdict has been the same: America SCORES works. Numerous national and local studies show that our program improves children’s academics and commitment to school, increases their physical fitness and teamwork skills, and empowers them to be leaders in their communities.
In our Outcomes Report, we evaluate the outcomes of our soccer, creative writing, and service-learning programs to assess the extent to which they positively affect the health, academic achievement, and positive youth development of our participants. A recent national evaluation of America SCORES found improvements in these areas:
Education and Literacy:
- Statistically significant gains in writing achievement as demonstrated through pre and post-program writing tests
- Students reported increased reading enjoyment and independent reading
Health and Fitness:
- Statistically significant reduction of Body Mass Index (BMI), a key indicator both of the risk of obesity and chronic disease later in life
- Increased levels of physical fitness as demonstrated through pre and post-program running tests
- Students reported increased feelings of self-confidence, self-efficacy, and enjoyment of learning
- Increased frequency of daytime classroom attendance during the America SCORES season
To keep up with updated news on our impact, follow our National Blog.
Here are a few highlights from this past year:
- 88% of students reported higher self-confidence, saying that “America SCORES makes me feel good about myself.”
- 55% of students who started in an “unhealthy” BMI category (overweight or obese), ended the year with improved physical fitness in the “normal/healthy” BMI percentile
- Teacher surveys show higher classroom participation (80%), leading to improved academic performance (77%).
- America SCORES teams designed and led over 300 service-learning projects to improve the community like ending hunger, creating sustainable gardens, and fighting illiteracy.
For more information on our impact, check out our Annual Reports.
“Throughout the school year SCORES was the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me. It strayed me away from the bad crowd and helped me focus on school and soccer. Though I spent only one year in SCORES at Palms Middle, that one year created a new person and laid the foundation I needed to become who I am today. SCORES has provided opportunities for me to excel in school, on the field, and in the real world.”
-Nahoul G., Santa Monica College Class of 2016